|Poster & Design Created by Jennifer Yandle|
The Wilson Gluten Free Support Group was established by Carrie Forbes in January 2010. Our first meeting was held on Saturday June 26, 2010 at the Wilson County Public Library. Our group meets bi-monthly usually at Winstead United Methodist Church on Forest Hills Road in Wilson. We also have monthly informal "coffee breaks" in which we just meet up for a gluten free snack & a cup of coffee or tea.
In May 2012 our group became a R.O.C.K. (raising our celiac kids) affiliated group, as part of a national alliance of gluten free support groups. For more information on the philosophy behind ROCK, please visit the national website.
We hope that this group will serve as a valuable gluten free resource for those in the Wilson County & Eastern NC areas.
This group is free to attend and we welcome people of all ages to join us! And we LOVE kids! So please bring them along, especially if they are gluten free too!
For our ROCK Party dates and our coffee breaks, please check out our calendar!
Past Meeting Themes & Topics:
- Restaurants that Cater to the gluten free diet in the Wilson/Rocky Mount NC area
- Gluten Free Bread Taste-Testing
- Learning about the history of being gluten free in America: Generation Gluten Free: A Documentary on Celiac Disease by Susan Cohen
- A Behind the Scenes tour of the Whole Foods Gluten Free Bakehouse
- Reading Gluten Free Food Labels with Sarah Overholt, RD
- How to Throw a Gluten Free Barbecue Party!
- An overview of the Charlotte Gluten Free EXPO 2011
- Spotlight: Local Gluten Free Baked Goods from Liz Pearce Owner of Gluten Free Galley, Raleigh NC
- A Review of Gluten Free Flours & Baking Ingredients presented by Debbie Williams, local group member.
- How to be a Gluten Free Kid -- Sharing gluten free children's books: Mommy, What is Celiac Disease by Katie Chalmers and Barrett's Unusual Ice-Cream Party by Michelle King.